I love being sustainable so I just had to make this reusable hand warmers DIY. Not only is this a quick sewing project, but this also makes a great DIY small sewing project for kids! As someone who has taught sewing to beginners and younger children, this is a perfect beginner project. These hand warmers and reusable, durable, and the perfect size for little hands! These rice hands or pocket warmers will teach you the basics of sewing and keep your hands warm! These can be sewed by machine or by hand, I perfect the machine because it’s faster.
How to Make Reusable Hand Warmers DIY
Let’s learn how to make these Reusable Hand Warmers DIY, to start let’s see what we need.
What You Will Need:
- Flannel or cotton fabric (I used flannel fabric because it’s softer)
- Needle and Thread
- Funnel ( or paper to make a funnel)
Cut your Squares…
To make these DIY Hand Warmers, I like to use 9cm by 9cm squares. If you want a larger seam allowance I suggest making the squares. 10cm by 10cm.
Cut 4 Squares of the material (9×9)
Place the right sides together, and sew (hand or machine) around the outside of the square. Leave a gap between the start and finish. This gap should be big enough to pull the fabric through and it should be big enough to fit the funnel for the rice.
Pull the fabric through the gap so it’s the right way out. Next, we are going to fill it with rice. Get your funnel, or make one out of paper if you don’t have one. Fill the bag 1/2 to 3/4 full with rice.
Once filled with rice, hand-sew the gap close
Congrats! You have now finished your very own reusable hand warmers.
Tips and Tricks
Try these tips and tricks when making your hand warmers.
Make Festive Ones
- Use festive fabric for festive reusable hand warmers. Christmas fabric is popular for winter!
Use a Glass of water
- Heat them in the microwave with a glass of water
- When sewing leave a smaller gap so hand stitching is less
- If you want them to smell nice, add a few drops of fragrance, french pair is my absolute favorite
Store them in your drawers
- If they are fragranced, in the hotter months store them in your drawers for clothes that smell freshener.
So will you be making these Reusable Hand Warmers DIY ?
I hope you have learned how to create a cozy and sustainable solution to keep your hands warm with this reusable hand warmers DIY. This small sewing project is ideal for beginners and kids so get sewing today! If you do end up making these, let me know in the comments how it went. I would love to hear from you all.
If you enjoyed this blog post, why not check out one of my others
- How to Make Homemade Body Butter | Easy DIY
- How to Make DIY Toilet Paper Roll Seedling Pots
- How to make Hand Embroidery Brooch DIY Tutorial
You can support me by checking out my Etsy Store, I have all sorts on there from sewing patterns to paintings and handmade things.