Are you tired of the classic caramel slice with its chocolatey goodness? Take a break and try the surprising twist we’ve got for you! We’ll teach you how to make the perfect caramel slice without any chocolate, in just a few simple steps. Get ready to savor the buttery shortbread base and the rich, gooey caramel filling, making it a new household favorite. In this article, we’ll give you a detailed guide to the recipe, along with tips and tricks to ensure success. So, put on your apron, and let’s get started!
To make this perfect caramel slice without chocolate, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. For the shortbread base, you’ll need butter, sugar, and flour. For the caramel filling, you’ll need butter, sweetened condensed milk, and sugar syrup
With these simple ingredients, you can create a delicious and rich dessert that’s sure to impress. So, let’s get started on making the perfect shortbread base!
The Perfect Shortbread Base
Make sure to use high-quality ingredients for the best results when making the perfect caramel slice without chocolate. The shortbread base is the foundation of this delicious dessert, and using unsalted butter and pure granulated sugar will ensure that it is rich and buttery. When selecting the butter for the caramel filling, be sure to choose pure, high-quality butter to complement the shortbread base.
Creating the perfect shortbread base is easy and straightforward. Begin by creaming together the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add in the flour and mix until the dough comes together. Press the dough into a greased and lined baking pan and bake until lightly golden. Let the base cool before adding the caramel filling.
With this perfect shortbread base, you’ll have a solid foundation to build the perfect caramel slice without chocolate. So, let’s move on to creating the next layer of this delectable dessert.,
Creating the Perfect Caramel Filling
Creating the perfect caramel filling is the key to a delicious caramel slice. To begin, melt the unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the sweetened condensed milk and golden syrup and stir until the mixture is smooth. Then, increase the heat to medium-high and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens and turns a golden-brown color.
To ensure the perfect consistency, it’s important to use a candy thermometer and cook the mixture to the correct temperature. The ideal temperature for caramel is around 235°F to 240°F (113°C to 116°C). Be careful not to let the mixture burn or boil too rapidly, as this can result in a grainy texture.
Once the caramel has reached the desired temperature and consistency, remove it from the heat and pour it over the cooled shortbread base. Use a spatula to spread the caramel evenly, making sure to fill any gaps or holes in the base.
Allow the caramel to cool and set completely before slicing it into squares. For best results, chill the slice in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
With these simple steps, you’ll be able to create the perfect caramel filling for your twist on the classic caramel slice. Now, let’s move on to some tips and tricks for success.,
Tips and Tricks for Success
To ensure that your caramel slice turns out perfectly every time, here are some helpful tips and tricks:
- Use a candy thermometer: While it may seem like an unnecessary step, using a candy thermometer ensures that your caramel reaches the exact temperature needed for the perfect consistency. Overcooked caramel can become hard and brittle, while undercooked caramel can be runny and messy.
- Cut with a hot knife: To achieve clean, even slices, heat your knife under hot water before making each cut. This will prevent the caramel from sticking to the knife and tearing apart your beautiful layers.
- Experiment with toppings: While the classic chocolate topping is hard to beat, you can add your own twist by experimenting with different toppings. Crushed nuts, sprinkles, and even coconut flakes can all add a delicious texture to your caramel slice.
By following these simple tips, you’ll have a mouthwatering caramel slice with a surprising twist. Now let’s move on to baking and serving this irresistible treat.,
Baking and Serving
Now that you have perfected the recipe for the perfect caramel slice without chocolate, it’s time to talk about baking and serving this delicious treat. To start, preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking dish with parchment paper. This will make it easier to remove the caramel slice from the dish once it’s baked.
Once your caramel slice has baked, allow it to cool in the dish for at least 20 minutes before removing it. The caramel will still be hot and runny, so be careful when transferring the slice to a cooling rack. Once it has cooled completely, chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before slicing.
When it’s time to serve your caramel slice, you can add your own creative twist by experimenting with different toppings. Crushed nuts, sprinkles, and even coconut flakes are great options to add some texture and flavor to your slice. Cut into small squares for bite-sized treats or larger pieces for a more indulgent dessert.
Now that you have the perfect recipe for a caramel slice without chocolate, let your creativity shine through when it comes to baking and serving this delicious treat.
Basic Caramel Slice without Chocolate
- 200 grams Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar Any Sugar will do
- 2 1/2 Cup Self-Raising Flour If you don't have self raising flour, add 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 400 grams Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 100 grams Butter
- 2 tbsp Sugar Syrup Make Sugar syrup ( 2 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp water) I used brown sugar
Make the Base
- Preheat oven to 160 celcius, and line a baking pan, 20x20cm
- Cream Butter and Sugar until fluffy, Add Vanilla Essence
- Stir in flour to make a crumbly dough
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the pan
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes
Make the Caramel Filling
- Heat Butter, Sweetened Condensed Milk and Sugar Syrup on the stove until the mixture starts to thicken, stir constantly
- Once thickening has started, pour over base
- Crumble the remaining dough over the caramel filling
- Bake for 30-35 Minutes
- Allow Slice to cool before slicing
In summary, this recipe for a caramel slice without chocolate is a unique and delicious twist on a classic dessert. The perfect shortbread base and rich, gooey caramel filling make for a melt-in-your-mouth experience that is sure to impress even the most discerning of taste buds. By following our tips and tricks, you’ll be able to bake and serve this dessert with ease. So go ahead, give it a try, and see for yourself how a small twist can make a big difference. As Julia Child once said, “No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” So put on your apron, grab your baking supplies, and start creating a delicious culinary masterpiece today.
If you enjoyed this article, why not read some of my others?
- How to Grow Herbs Indoors: A Beginners Guide to Year-Round Freshness
- How to make a Simple Pinafore Dress | From Wool Blanket to Retro Chic
- Indoor Plants for Good Air Quality and Health
If you like Natural Skincare, take a look at this Etsy Shop